Para Site is now calling for applications to our Fall 2021 internship programme. This internship will be an intensive engagement with the institution, working closely with staff on a number of different Para Site programmes.
During your time at Para Site, you can expect:
- An introduction to the workings of a non-profit contemporary art institution
- Exposure and engagement with the contemporary art community of Hong Kong
- Feedback and guidance from art professionals
- Gain practical skills in art administration
- Meet a group of like-minded individuals
Some practical matters:
- Part-time basis from October 2021 to February 2022
- Office hours: Mon-Fri, 11:00-7:00 pm (may on occasion, include overtime)
- Interns will be given a stipend
- Interns shall provide their COVID-19 vaccination status in light of our large-scale event, the Annual Gala, which is held in a Type D premise under the Prevention and Control of Disease (Requirements and Directions) (Business and Premises) Regulation (Cap. 599F). The information will be kept strictly confidential and will be erased after the internship application process or the Annual Gala, whichever applies.
We are looking for proactive, organised, self-motivated individuals who can work efficiently in a fast-paced environment, supporting a small team with the following:
- Exhibition / Programmes
- Development / Public Relations
- Gallery / Operations
If you are interested in taking part in the internship programme, please fill out the form at http://bit.ly/3jOv1qO by 19 Sep 2021. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview shortly after the deadline.
Exhibition / Programmes
Para Site’s main activity is regular production of exhibitions of various scales. A number of our exhibitions also travel to partner institutions around the world, and other venues within Hong Kong. Each exhibition is accompanied by public programmes aimed to provide a place for learning and conversation, including panel discussions, screenings, talks, performances, and more.
As we are a small team, we require a lot of extra hands in the production, management, and documentation of our projects. Our interns will work closely with staff from start to finish on a project, learning about the numerous practical steps required.
Responsibilities include production of artwork per artist instructions, installation/de-installation of artworks, preparation for artwork captions and exhibition didactics, equipment/material sourcing, liaising with artists and/or galleries, shipment, floorplan design, condition check of artworks, public event coordination, and video editing. Knowledge of SketchUp, Adobe Creative Cloud, and Final Cut Pro is a plus.
Development / Public Relations
Development encompasses all fundraising aspects of the institution as well as resources for the growth of our programming capability and production. As an expanding non-profit, we rely on private and government support to fund our operations year-round.
Crucial moments in the development calendar are the Annual Auction and Gala in the fall and Art Basel Hong Kong in the spring. Ongoing work with the Patrons Programme, promotional campaigns, and grants is also essential.
Development/Public Relations interns will provide assistance with project-based event planning, in particular the Annual Auction and Gala in November. Tasks include various aspects of event execution and copywriting, including the preparation of event and promotional materials, catalogues, leaflets, presentations, texts, and social media content. Interns may also be involved in the processes of translation, media monitoring, and funds acquisition. Prior experience in events, auction houses, communications, or galleries is a plus.
Gallery / Operations
The daily functioning of our office, shop, and gallery space is typical of a non-profit art institution, which is a practical learning experience for an arts professional.
All our interns will at one time or another be supporting general administration for our office and PS Shop, and also help with events outside of Para Site (including conferences, workshops, opening events, and public programmes), source appropriate contacts for venues, manufacturing, decoration, special events, and assist with other ad-hoc tasks.