Period of Internship: January–June 2024
The internship programme is an introduction to the workings of a leading nonprofit contemporary art institution. We are looking for highly motivated individuals to join our Spring 2024 internship programme. The internship programme offers work experience across the different roles of the organization such as curatorial, operations, communications, and development. The internship aims to provide career paths that lead to a more diverse art field through mentoring and the opportunity to work closely with the art community in Hong Kong. Successful candidates will be able to experience the conception and execution of projects organized by the institution, as well as learning essential organizational skills related to the day-to-day operation of an established art organization.
Para Site internships are paid, part-time positions. Ideal candidates will have demonstrated interest in contemporary art, culture, and/or history, currently enrolled in undergraduate and graduate programmes or recent graduates. Candidates are required to commit to a minimum of 6 months, for at least three days per week, or equivalent of 24 hours per week. Evening availability once or twice a month for events and programmes may be requested.
Please kindly note that we do not provide visa support for interns. Before you apply for an internship, we recommend that you become acquainted with the exhibitions organized by Para Site.
Successful candidates will have the opportunity to rotate various teams and be exposed to a diverse range of roles and responsibilities, including:
Exhibitions and Events
- Collate materials to support curators through research on artists, artwork, fabrication, venues, prospective loan procurements
- Assist with exhibition and event documentation, as well as archival work
- Onsite support for exhibition installations, including material sourcing
- Assist with condition check of artworks
- Assist with event coordination
- General exhibition upkeep
- Provide editorial review and support for print and digital materials
- Research and expand list of journalists, freelance writers, publications for PR planning
- Translate texts for exhibition related materials, publications, website content, and events
- Adapt content for web use and social media
Operations and Development
- Support day-to-day administration and facility operations at Para Site
- Assist with venue bookings, travel arrangements, and stocking office supplies
- Assist with opening and closing exhibitions
- Assist with managing Para Site shop
- Provide support for VIP event planning and organization
- Managing guest list creation from database, creating a log of attendees and histories to better inform future guest lists
- Manage RSVP and check in at IRL events
- Conduct research on potential funding opportunities
- Proficiency in English and Chinese (Cantonese preferred, Mandarin a plus)
- Strong research, writing, editing, and translation (Chinese to English and English to Chinese) skills
- Proactive and eager to learn
- Excellent attention to detail
- Reliable and able to work under tight deadlines
- Proficiency with Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and/or Premiere), Final Cut Pro, SketchUp and/or AutoCAD
- Flexibility with handling diverse tasks, including general office work
- Welcoming visitors, answering basic questions regarding the exhibition and artists, and guarding the artwork on display.
Additional Desirable Education and Prior Experience
- Previous internship or work experience preferred
- Familiarity with art history, museum studies, and/or history through academic study and/or work experience is an asset
- Experience in video production is desirable
How to Apply
Please fill out the application form at https://airtable.com/app2acqk59e1Ukh1A/shrtdBbykD9p1qRmw by 12 noon, December 12, 2023 (Tue). Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview within four weeks following the application deadline.