Para Site is pleased to announce the sixth edition of our summer exhibition series curated by an emerging curator. This sixth edition follows on from the successes of Bicycle Thieves, curated by Hanlu Zhang in 2019, Kotodama curated by André Chan in 2018, In Search of Miss Ruthless curated by Hera Chan and David Xu Borgonjon in 2017, That Has Been, and May Be Again curated by Leo Li Chen and Wu Mo in 2016, and Imagine there’s no country, Above us only our cities curated by Jims Lam Chi Hang in 2015. We are now calling for proposals by curators at an early stage in their professional careers to curate an exhibition which will be shown at Para Site in the summer of 2020. This platform is devised to provide the opportunity for an emerging curator to develop one of their first major projects benefiting from all the resources, support, guidance, and infrastructure made available for other Para Site exhibitions.
This project is open to curators irrespective of their nationality or residence, but the selected exhibition will have a meaningful connection with Hong Kong and its audiences.
- A proposal (maximum 1 page) for a curatorial project, which includes the concept and a preliminary list of artists considered for Para Site.
- For an exhibition space that is approximately 2,500 square feet.
- Concrete details outlining how the curatorial vision will appear in the space are welcome.
- Succinct and compelling formulations of the curatorial vision, its relevance in today’s artistic landscape, and its connection to our audiences are encouraged.
- Original conceptualisation and phrasing will be favoured over curatorial jargon and over-reliance on academic quotation, unless a specific thinker’s ideas form the core of the proposal
- Curriculum Vitae, with an extensive description of relevant working experience.
- All applications must be submitted in English to: by January 5, 2020. Please put ‘Emerging Curators Exhibition Proposal’ in the subject line.
Para Site’s floor plan can be downloaded here. The exhibition is allocated the standard Para Site exhibition budget, including artwork production costs, shipping costs, guest curator’s fee, artist fees, and health and dental insurance for Hong Kong-based artists and curators.