During Para Site’s 25th anniversary year in 2021, held under the 25+25 vision that honours the communities built over the past quarter century and commits to the foundations of the next, we are delighted to announce the 2046 Fermentation + Fellowships programme. It aims to provide a collective safe space for learning and thinking as well as financial support for Hong Kong artists in the first years of their artistic work life, supported by Para Site’s curatorial team and a panel of facilitators made up of locally and internationally respected art professionals, coming together as peers in discussing fundamental questions and practical concerns related to artistic practice and its economies. The programme is imagined as a response to the current scarcity in community support platforms and critical spaces for artists, particularly in the first years after graduation.
Taking as a reference Para Site’s 25 years of history in the arts community since its founding in 1996, the title of the programme looks forward to 25 years from now, to the year 2046, and to a future we hope to build on the basis of collective care, nurturing, and solidarity.
The participants will be selected by a jury composed of Para Site team members and the six facilitators who are joining us for the inaugural edition: Luke Ching Chin Wai (artist, Hong Kong), Ho Tzu Nyen (artist and filmmaker, Singapore), Law Yuk Mui (artist, Hong Kong), H. G. Masters (writer and editor, Hong Kong), Charwei Tsai (artist, Taiwan) and Yang Yeung (scholar, writer, and curator, Hong Kong).
In the first phase of the programme, Fermentation, which runs from October 2021 to March 2022, participants will commit to meet on a biweekly basis in small groups, led by peers or in sessions with Para Site’s curatorial team, the six facilitators and other guest advisors tailored to the participants’ needs. Para Site will collaborate with each participant in designing the sessions where reciprocal learning is encouraged and knowledge and skills are shared among all the participants, facilitators, and the Para Site team. Each participant will also be guided by their assigned facilitator (taking into account the preferences expressed by the applicants) through regular one-on-one meetings throughout the six-month programme.
For the second phase of the programme, starting in April 2022, participants will be able to apply for a number of individual fellowships of HKD 20,000, as financial support for the research, production, and/or implementation of a submitted proposal. All of them will have the opportunity to introduce their work as part of Para Site’s public programme.
All Hong Kong-based artists working in any discipline are eligible to apply for the 2046 Fermentation + Fellowships. Each participant shall fulfill the following criteria:
- received undergraduate or postgraduate degree within the last five years (graduating class of 2016 excluded);
- actively producing work and committed to a career as an artist;
- currently not enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate programme;
- does not have stable gallery representation.
2046 Fermentation + Fellowships is open to any artist currently living in Hong Kong. Around ten to fifteen artists will be selected as participants. Applicants are invited to submit the following documents, and strongly advised to observe the specifications in format and length.
- A one-page CV (personal website accepted if applicable);
- Indicate your first through third choices of your potential facilitator throughout the six-month programme among the jury members and why (less than 100 words);*
- Please share why you are interested in participating in the 2046 Fermentation + Fellowships programme and how it might benefit your artistic career development. For applicants with a more established portfolio, please share why you require the support through this programme.
Please submit all materials in only one of the following formats:
- Video (no more than three minutes long) OR
- PDF or Word document (A4, point 11 or 12 font, single spaced, no more than three pages); may include images and text in English, with the text no longer than 300 words.
Applications should be made in English to email@example.com by 6 September 2021, noon HKT. The jury will meet in September to make a decision and we hope to commence the program in October 2021.
*Please note that the eventual assignment of a facilitator is based on availability and final decision by the jury members.
The 2046 Fermentation + Fellowships is generously supported by Para Site’s community through the proceeds of the 2020 Annual Gala as well as by Jehan Chu, Schoeni Projects, and.